SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. — PG&E Corporation today announced it has again been named to the prestigious Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index, which lists North American companies that lead their industries in corporate economic, environmental and social performance.
This marks the eighth time that PG&E has been selected for the North America Index, which serves as a benchmark for investors who integrate sustainability considerations into their portfolios, while providing a platform for engaging companies who want to adopt sustainable best practices. PG&E was one of only eight U.S. gas and electric companies to make the North America Index in the 2017 annual review.
"Sustainability is at the center of PG&E's vision and is driving innovation and investment as we move toward a low-carbon economy. This work promotes continuous improvement and strengthens our results for customers, employees, investors and all of our stakeholders. We are honored to be recognized for these efforts," said Geisha Williams, CEO and President of PG&E Corporation.
PG&E earned its place on the North America Index based on sustainability accomplishments achieved in 2016, which include:
- Investing nearly $6 billion to enhance our infrastructure and improve safety and reliability.
- Delivering some of the nation's cleanest energy, with nearly 70 percent of our electricity coming from greenhouse-gas free resources.
- Achieving the second-best year for electric reliability in PG&E's history, despite challenging weather.
- Completing substantial work across our natural gas system, including the milestone of inspecting 1 million gas service lines using state-of-the-art Picarro mobile gas leak detection technology.
- Helping customers save $258 million on their energy bills through energy efficiency.
- Achieving industry-leading supplier diversity results, directing $2.85 billion or 44.4 percent of our total procurement toward diverse-certified firms.
- Surpassing our goals for Step Up and Power Down, an initiative that engaged more than 1,275 companies in San Francisco and San Jose in saving energy.
- Devoting $28 million to charitable organizations through our Better Together Giving Program and setting a company record with 96,800 employee volunteer hours.
- Launching the Better Together Resilient Communities grant program, a shareholder-funded initiative that will invest $1 million over five years to support local climate resilience planning efforts.
The Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI) track the performance of leading sustainability-driven companies worldwide. In selecting the top performers in each industry sector, DJSI evaluated companies on issues such as corporate governance, risk management, climate change, supply-chain management, customer relations, corporate citizenship and philanthropy, and labor practices, with a special focus on industry-specific risks and opportunities.
More information about PG&E's sustainability efforts is available at www.9zuogu.site/sustainability.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric energy companies in the United States. Based in San Francisco, with more than 20,000 employees, the company delivers some of the nation's cleanest energy to nearly 16 million people in Northern and Central California. For more information, visit www.pge.com/ and www.pge.com/en/about/newsroom/index.page.